Re: Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

On 01/19/2011 05:01 PM, geremy condra wrote:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And you've also lost all
connection with the people. I am desperately trying to to snap you out
of this psychosis before it is too late! Tkinter will be the downfall
of Python if we cannot muster the resolve to replace it with something
that is current (or more current) technology.

I don't see the original bizarre rants for some reason (spam filter
likely), but I have to say this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard
in some time. Tkinter the downfall of python? Wow. All of the python
programmers I know (we use python every day at work) would say, "what
is tkinter?" It's just not relevant to any of them that I know. Google
probably uses as much Python as anyone, and their programmers would
probably agree. Perhaps that's an argument to remove tkinter entirely,
but not really a good one.

In the meantime they happily crank out code with Django, or PyQt, or
PyGTK, or even Tkinter--whatever tool is appropriate for the job.

Citation needed.

Perhaps a reference to Xah Lee's web site would suffice.

  • Re: ANN: PyGUI 2.1
    ... Also these stated goals are what every GUI package should aspire to. ... Develop a GUI API that is designed specifically for Python, ... But even Tkinter needs more details! ... i can't sacrifice the widget set. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: gui toolkits: the real story? (Tkinter, PyGTK, etc.)
    ... Is there resistance in the upper Python echelons to GTK ... most popular Python GUI toolkit today is probably wxPython". ... So, it would seem to me that Tkinter *might* remain in Python proper, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: GUIs - A Modest Proposal
    ... Tkinter, the Python wrapper, is not "developed" because it is largely ... native widgets like PyGUI? ... Native widgets are all fine and dandy, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Yet another GUI toolkit question...
    ... I think Tkinter is lagging behind Tk itself in terms of its advances ... Certainly a lot of Python developers don't seem well-informed about the ... called "Tile" and will be part of the Tk core when it's released at v. 8.5). ... The vast range of available GUI toolkits is one thing that partially ...