Re: unicode by default

Terry Reedy wrote:
Is there a unix linux package that can be installed that
drops at least 'one' default standard font that will be able to render
all or 'most' (whatever I mean by that) code points in unicode? Is this
a Python issue at all?

Easy, practical use of unicode is still a work in progress.

Apparently... the good news for me is that SBL provides their unicode font here:

http://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts.aspx

I'm getting much closer here, but now the problem is typing. The pain with unicode fonts is that the glyph is tied to the code point for the represented character, and not tied to any code point that matches any keyboard scan code for typing. :-}

So, I can now see the ancient text with accents and aparatus in all of my editors, but I still cannot type any ancient Greek with my keyboard... because I have to make up a keymap first. <sigh>

I don't find that SBL (nor Logos Software) has provided keymaps as yet... rats.

I can read the test with Python though... yessss.

m harris

  • Re: non-breaking hyphen in the document properties is replaced by
    ... or may display as a 2013 if the font doesn't contain the nh- ... even though it displays a "nearest neighbor" character. ... how do I format the text with a newer Unicode font? ... Then I did the Alt-X on the square that appears instead of the wanted ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Characters appear as empty rectangles
    ... font into Unicode. ... ' new Unicode font for phonetics: ... ' Not all chars from the old SIL font are converted! ... Private Sub SIL2Uni ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95/98/Me systems
    ... but evidently "Unicode font" is not what I meant. ... Whatever the terminology, what I meant is that some fonts have all Unicode ... I provided references explaining what I am saying. ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.winapi)
  • Re: accentuated characters are mistaken when exchanging between Mac and PC
    ... >> It may help if you choose a Unicode font (one capable of including more than ... >> 255 characters). ... Nor does he say which font ... If he's in PPT X or earlier it won't do him any good ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint)
  • Re: The name of the typeface
    ... I can't imagine the Macs - the ah, so progressive Macs - not having at least one such font. ... And then you have to setup your Thunderbird to use this Unicode font for ... available in Helvetica and Courier, ...
    (sci.lang.japan)