Re: The end to all language wars and the great unity API to come!

On Jul 2, 11:00 pm, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
rantingrick wrote:
Ruby: for x in blah: blah_blah_blah
Python: for x in blah: blah_blah_blah

Here you're making the mistake of thinking that surface syntax
is all that matters. Although the 'for' statements in Python and
Ruby look very similar, underneath they're based on quite
different mechanisms. They're not equivalent: the Python way
leads to various powerful things such as generators; the Ruby
way lends itself more to user-defined control structures.

I agree however i see merit in both approaches. But why must we have
completely different languages just for that those two approaches? We
don't it's just a religious thing. Doesn't make sense to me. If Guido
and Matz got together over some sake and Monty Python i'll bet they
could hash out a singular replacement fro Ruby and Python in no time!

  • Re: Why would I learn Python over other languages?
    ... >> languages, I also came across a language called Ruby. ... comparing Python to Ruby from those of you who have ... Ruby's documentation of its libraries is much worse. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: What do you want in a new web framework?
    ... But there are interesting things in Ruby (and Ruby 2 should take care of ... lots of warts Ruby 1.8 has) that Python could learn from. ... Lisp family of languages whereas Python's statement-based syntax is ... These two aspects of frameworks ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: a Python persons experience with Ruby
    ... But in ruby no such distinction exists. ... I'm sorry to have to insist: Python doesn't distinguish between methods ... an accessor. ... semantic equivalent in Python of your Ruby snippet is a plain attribute. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: New to Python: my impression v. Perl/Ruby
    ... After years and years of Perl use, I evaluated Ruby ... > and Python and have adopted Python. ... the socket module docs for the default timeout setting. ... Yes, that's a substantive difference in design, I agree ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Can you please help to make decision?
    ... For all I know, I may have just made a case for learning Python first, ... even though I don't much like the language. ... I don't think ruby is ever going to be readable in that way. ... Overall, I think python's online documentation is pretty poor, but I ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)