Microsoft GUIs (was: The end to all language wars and the great unity API to come!) (OT)

On 2011.07.05 09:31 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
I've said for a while that Microsoft could do far worse than to turn
Windows into a GUI that sits on top of a Unix-derived kernel. They
won't do it, though, because it would be tantamount to admitting both
that Unix is superior to Windows, AND that Apple got it right.
In my experience, it's been the GUIs that are awful and the backend
stuff that's been good in Windows. Yes, the NT kernel still has some
long standing bugs, but MS has done well with things that matter to
sysadmins. chkdsk, for example, has been around for ages, but I still
don't know of anything that really beats it. It's certainly saved my ass
on several occasions. MS also bought the Sysinternals suite of software,
and those programs continue to be very good. I've only had a small
amount of experience with it so far, but Powershell seems to be an
excellent tool for admin scripting since it interfaces with WMI so well.
When it comes to things that interface with your average idiot, however,
MS consistently drops the ball. The new interface design they've imposed
on their office suite and Explorer is not only just plain bad, but it's
infectious (and it's the reason the Firefox and Thunderbird default GUI
configurations look horrendous). Another area MS fails it is sensible
defaults. They put tons of effort into increasing security in the
kernel, but don't use the security features (I'll try to come up with
more detail on this later). Explorer /still/ hides known extensions by
default, which /still/ makes it easier for bad people to get their
victims to execute malware. What I think is that MS should focus on the
kernel and encourage others to do their GUIs.

  • Re: PROOF: Windows makes you stupid
    ... What gui? ... Is that some windows thing? ... available in a kernel pre-compiled by the manufacturer. ... you a watch icon when they fail to start! ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • GUI v. CLI was Re: Starting Perl
    ... the GUI v. CLI Jihaud, a brief refresher course on history. ... Windows noticed that Apple's GUI approach was ... user interface types of problems. ... One True App with a Gagillion command line options. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: What Mac can beat this for the same or less?
    ... HD Video Tuner ... Recall that the primary draw of OS X is its GUI, ... In Windows you should worry about this, as a 64 bit user interface is wasting resources; ... This means that if it is written by a half way experienced programmer, the GUI interface code is written seperately from the real working code, which makes this distinction a complete non issue. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: command line vs gui
    ... "FJ>> command lines over GUI, even when using Windows. ... "FJ>> best of both worlds with an interface using charts/fields of text? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] KDE and GNOME: What exactly are they
    ... Unlike free software operating systems, ... the bits the user sees and interacts with (the graphical user interface (GUI) ... - the windows, cursor, buttons, etc). ... The kernel is the back-office or the kitchen (in a ...
    (SuSE)