Re: The end to all language wars and the great unity API to come!

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 12:31:02 +1000, Chris Angelico <rosuav@xxxxxxxxx>
Democracy DOES NOT WORK. Plain and simple. You cannot build a
programming language democratically.

       Uhm... COBOL and Ada may be close... They were committee/competition
where the best (compromise) aspect was selected for inclusion...

And are they what you would call good languages?

A committee isn't the same as democracy, although it is related. If
you have two people making a decision, you potentially pull things in
two directions. If you have two million people making a decision, you
tear it to pieces.

Vision for a language (or any other project) cannot come from a
mandate from the masses. I'm waiting for my aquatic ceremony before I
start building a language.

ChrisA

  • Re: Newbie: Help with Arrays
    ... of integer - that's because the standard says "at least 32 bits". ... language that understands explicit bit widths. ... will be some compromise. ... Verilog has chosen one possible ...
    (comp.lang.verilog)
  • Re: FYI - Democracy and Arabs
    ... > Did you know that there is no word for 'compromise' in the Arabic ... There's no word for "garage" in English, ... or another phrase like "place to park your car." ...
    (soc.politics)
  • Re: Licenced to sell
    ... I suppose it is a compromise ... to ease the lipsync. ... I think something like this occurs in all languages when representing foreigners. ... Have you noticed how the foreigners all speak perfect [whatever language the book/film uses], but still use their native language for yes, no, Mr, Mrs, etc? ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Python Source Code Beautifier
    ... to the language was held up for a long time until ... the present compromise was devised. ... I'm not a great programmer and I never thought about asking for such a removal. ... experienced" than you- may use those features, and perhaps you have to read, understand and modify some code written by someone else. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • FYI - Democracy and Arabs
    ... Did you know that there is no word for 'compromise' in the Arabic ... Since democracy is all about compromise it will be ... interesting to see what happens...I'm guessing continued Iraqi strife ...
    (soc.politics)