Re: Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

On Jul 17, 2:32 am, Ian Kelly <ian.g.ke...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This.  I used to think that tabs were better, for pretty much the
reasons Rick outlined, but I've had enough problems with editors
munging my tabs that I eventually found it simpler in practice to just
go with the flow and use spaces.

Solution: STOP USING BROKEN TOOLS!!!

Of course, there is also another major problem with tabs that I have
not seen pointed out yet, which is that it's not possible to strictly
adhere to 80-column lines with tabs.

Of course it is. The litmus test will be "four-space-tab-view". If the
code overflows in this "view type" then the code will fail the 80 char
maximum limit. This argument is ridiculous anyhow. It is up to you how
to view the source. If you view it in 80 width tabs don't start
complaining later when one indention goes off the page. Would you view
the source with 50 point font? Jeez.

 I can write my code to 80
columns using 4-space tabs, but if somebody later tries to edit the
file using 8-space tabs, their lines will be too long.

THEIR LINES is the key words. A tab control is a tab control is a (you
guessed it!) a tab control. No matter how small or large your tab
settings are the source only reflects one tab control char per press
of the tab key. Heck, people are already (unwisely) using "8-space-
spaces" and i don't hear you making the same argument.

Rick's answer
to this might be to just mandate that everybody uses 4-space tabs, but
then this would pretty much defeat the purpose of using tabs in the
first place.

We already mandate four space spaces so what is the difference? I'll
tell you, the difference is Freedom and Unity living in perfect
harmony.

Yes, we mandate that all code must meet the 80 line limit in "four-
space-tab-view", and if it doesn't, it's not allowed in the stdlib.
Plain and simple.

  • Re: Flashing screen
    ... Is it only the tabs on the tab control that flash in your database? ... This tab control has no tabs. ... I had an issue with flashing screens with A2007 when I changes record ... with its own table as a record source. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Re: More Theme Problems
    ... >It works okay until I specify TCS_BOTTOM as one of the tab control styles. ... >This style puts the tabs on the bottom for versions of Windows that support ... >The problem is that, when themed, Windows draws the tabs at the correct ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: More Theme Problems
    ... >It works okay until I specify TCS_BOTTOM as one of the tab control styles. ... >This style puts the tabs on the bottom for versions of Windows that support ... >The problem is that, when themed, Windows draws the tabs at the correct ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.gdi)
  • Re: Cant hide tabs of tab control???
    ... > changing the height of the tabs to zero but that doesn't fix it. ... > found a bug in the tab control. ... > alignment to bottom and the tabs style to flat buttons. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms.controls)
  • Re: Design Suggestions??
    ... The thing is, is that when I tried to create my tab control, I tried to ... you can add as many tabs as you'd like to your main form. ... > multiple subforms, ... >>> calculate an AmountDue. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)