Re: Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Personally, I think that 80 is pretty arbitrary now, and not the best
limit. I'm more comfortable with 120-130 myself. In any case, Python
won't complain about how many characters are on a line, and that's the
way it should be.

It's a question of policy, which is in the purview of the maintainer
of the codebase. But since Python itself has a lot of Python code, the
policy applied to its standard library is going to be looked at by
everyone as having special status.

ChrisA

  • Re: PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers
    ... identifiers in Python. ... Because when I am reading source code, even if a particular variable *name* is a sequence of characters that I cannot identify as a word that I know, I can at least spell it out using Latin characters, or perhaps even attempt to pronounce it. ... people who use Python learn the 52 upper/lowercase variants of the latin alphabet. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly
    ... string type in a language works. ... characters", ... Python 3.3 passes this test: ... I would expect a solid Unicode implementation ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: break unichr instead of fix ord?
    ... I think the best feature of python is not, ... property that a Unicode literal always produces one ... differently" by producing two python characters. ... "surrogate pairs". ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Trying to set a cookie within a python script
    ... produces a stream of characters. ... those streams of characters to the hard disk drive. ... Basically if i understood you right, this line of code tells Python ... I was under the impression the the stdout of a cgi python script was ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: UTF-8 / German, Scandinavian letters - is it really this difficult?? Linux & Windows XP
    ... For string literals, with the "coding" declaration, Python will accept ... "coding" declaration to produce a Unicode object which unambiguously ... represents the sequence of characters - ie. something that can be ... > strings and/or gibberished characters in Tk GUI title? ...
    (comp.lang.python)