Re: confused about __new__

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
I don't understand. Can anyone explain?

I'm also a bit confused about __new__. I'd very much appreciate it if someone could explain the following aspects of it:

* The manual (<http://docs.python.org/reference/datamodel.html>) says
that __new__ is "a static method (special-cased so you need not declare
it as such)". What does "special-cased" mean? Apparently, for
instance, in OP's case, Python did not automatically detect that it
should not be bound as a method.

* Is there any part of the manual that explains, holistically, the
greater context of object instantiation into which __new__ fits? I can
only find small parts of it spread around the documentation for __new__
and __init__, but no complete explanation of it. There are several
things I'm wondering about, like what it means to call a type object at
all; how methods, properties and the like are bound; how pickle can
instantiate a class without calling __init__; when and whether __dict__
is created and a couple of other things. Is there a complete
documentation of the process anywhere that I haven't managed to find?

--

Fredrik Tolf

.