Need help with shutils.copytree

I have a 'master' directory and a collection of 'slave' dirs. I want the master to collect all of the stuff in the slave dirs.

The slaves all look like this,

..
|-- slaveX
| `-- archI
| | `-- distJ
| | | ` -- FILE

Where the different slaveX dirs may contain multiple occurrences of archI and distJ, but across all slaveX dirs, there will only be one *unique* instance of FILE in archI and distJ.

Here's an example: Given slave[1234], arch1 and arch2, and dist1 and dist2, I want master to end up looking like this:

..
|-- master
| `-- arch1
| | ` -- dist1
| | | ` -- FILE
| `-- arch1
| | ` -- dist2
| | | ` -- FILE
| `-- arch2
| | ` -- dist1
| | | ` -- FILE
| `-- arch2
| | ` -- dist2
| | | ` -- FILE

etc...

In bash, I might use cpio passthrough mode and say something like:

master=$path_to_master
for slave in ${slaves}
do
pushd $slave
find . -print | cpio -pdum $master
popd
done

but I'm having a hard time trying to get this functionality in python. (I'm trying to avoid writing a subprocess.)

I tried using shutil.copytree with a try / except that does a pass on OSError (which is what gets raised when trying to create a dir that already exists). No joy there. I also tried an ignore function that always returns ().

Someone must have done this before. Any suggestions / pointers are much appreciated.

(I hope this was clear to read.)

TIA

--
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have .0.
steveo at syslang.net

  • Re: Replikations Frage
    ... vom Master auf den Slave kopiert hast und dabei die Permissions auf ... Die Datenbanken auf den Slave Server laufen ohne Probleme. ... # If you want to know which options a program support, ...
    (de.comp.datenbanken.mysql)
  • Re: When caveman Uhg invented fire
    ... be a business owner. ... But even the smallest "ownership" makes one a slave. ... Any "slave" can become the master. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: One-sided authentication for small micros?
    ... The master has a lookup table of all 'known' slave id's. ... This would reset all the slave keys to their lookup values. ... decides that it is a valid slave and starts to communicate with the slave. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: FIXMBR redux
    ... William, I did the best I could for you under the circumstances and I did ... >> "To remove the recovery console, delete the cmdcons folder from the root ... > drive as Master and formatted it anew, as Active and Primary, ... I then jumpered it as Slave, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Device Manager Issue
    ... Changing the jumper to Master only made the primary slave invisible in BIOS ... What does the BIOS read the drives as? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)