Re: X-windows for Dummies

From: Jeff Hobbs (jeffh_at_activestate.com)
Date: 12/04/03

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:49:16 GMT

Gerhard W. Gruber wrote:
>>While one might be faster than the other for certain things, an order
>>of magnitude difference indicates that there may be other things going
>>on.
>

> The problem in this case was that the list handling of TCL wasn't very well.
> Of course this was about 4 years ago and I also don't remember all the
> details. Maybe TCL became much faster in the meantime, though I doubt it.

That's a classic misconception that people have with Tcl. It is
so much faster than most people "remember" it being, as they all
worked with the pre-on-the-fly-compiler version. Tcl 8.0 changed
the rules and 8.4 pushed them again.

You can see version speed differences at http://wiki.tcl.tk/1611.
In the simple case of list iteration (#255), 8.4 is more than 240x
faster than 7.6!

Doubt all you want, the truth is Tcl has improved a lot. :)

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos