Re: X-windows for Dummies

From: Jeff Hobbs (jeffh_at_activestate.com)
Date: 12/04/03

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:49:16 GMT

Gerhard W. Gruber wrote:
>>While one might be faster than the other for certain things, an order
>>of magnitude difference indicates that there may be other things going
>>on.
>

> The problem in this case was that the list handling of TCL wasn't very well.
> Of course this was about 4 years ago and I also don't remember all the
> details. Maybe TCL became much faster in the meantime, though I doubt it.

That's a classic misconception that people have with Tcl. It is
so much faster than most people "remember" it being, as they all
worked with the pre-on-the-fly-compiler version. Tcl 8.0 changed
the rules and 8.4 pushed them again.

You can see version speed differences at http://wiki.tcl.tk/1611.
In the simple case of list iteration (#255), 8.4 is more than 240x
faster than 7.6!

Doubt all you want, the truth is Tcl has improved a lot. :)

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos

Relevant Pages

  • Re: X-windows for Dummies
    ... Gerhard W. Gruber wrote: ... >>of magnitude difference indicates that there may be other things going ... > The problem in this case was that the list handling of TCL wasn't very well. ... Maybe TCL became much faster in the meantime, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: X-windows for Dummies
    ... >of magnitude difference indicates that there may be other things going ... The problem in this case was that the list handling of TCL wasn't very well. ... Gerhard Gruber ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: X-windows for Dummies
    ... >of magnitude difference indicates that there may be other things going ... The problem in this case was that the list handling of TCL wasn't very well. ... Gerhard Gruber ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: X-windows for Dummies
    ... Gerhard W. Gruber wrote: ... >The problem in this case was that the list handling of TCL wasn't very well. ... Maybe TCL became much faster in the meantime, ...