Re: Another text widget question

From: Roy Terry (royterry_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 12/11/03

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:12:35 GMT

Derek Fountain wrote:

> I'm somewhat baffled by the text widget's wrap handling.
>
> I have a couple of paragraphs which I want to insert into a text widget. If
> I insert one long line, with no newlines embedded in it, the "-wrap word"
> option makes things look pretty and the margins work as I want. But the
> cursor handling doesn't work properly. Pressing down arrow makes the cursor
> jump down to the next paragraph. The only way to use the keyboard to
> navigate to the centre of my paragraph seems to be to lean on the right
> arrow key for a while and wait for the cursor to move its way into the
> text.
>
> If I embed \n chars in my text, the arrow keys work as expected, but now the
> word wrapping doesn't work properly. The lines really do end where the
> newlines are. Adding text which makes a line go off the left side of the
> window causes the end word to wrap onto a line on itself.
>
> All this makes sense from a programmer's point of view, and is at least
> predictable, but it makes for crap usability in either case! What am I
> doing wrong?
Alas, you are doing nothing wrong. There are workarounds to these
standard behaviors. see the wiki starting here
http://mini.net/tcl/3082

Also there have been recent enhancements to make this all
work a bit better - look to 8.5 I think for those.

Relevant Pages

  • Another text widget question
    ... I'm somewhat baffled by the text widget's wrap handling. ... cursor handling doesn't work properly. ... jump down to the next paragraph. ... arrow key for a while and wait for the cursor to move its way into the ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Cursoring Across a Page Break
    ... that should be on the next page, right-click and choose Paragraph to ... Using the down arrow key, my cursor passes right ... on the Add-ins tab, look at the lists for both COM add-ins and Word ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Cant double click to select a word, in a Microsoft Word document
    ... the paragraph :-) Notice how the pointer continues to appear as an I-beam. ... In Page Layout view (with an insertion point selection so the I-beam ... pointer shows when hovering over text), move the cursor to the grey area ... Start with the cursor in the left grey area, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • RE: Adding Style Word 2007 problem
    ... My first paragraph in the doc is Normal + 14 pt ... it keeps the 14 pt from where my cursor is sitting.... ... Then I add another style (in vba): ... style "_Journal font". ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)
  • Re: Style bug for Tables?
    ... "overlay" the paragraph styles, but don't take predence. ... > style present at the cursor where I insert the table. ... If heading 5 style is present at the ... Word just ignores the font, font size, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)