Compiling Abacus spreadsheet

From: Barry Kauler (bkauler_at_goosee.com)
Date: 09/25/04

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:23:47 GMT

Hi, has anyone had experience with compiling Abacus?

The Abacus site only has the source package to download and
I cannot find binaries anywhere. It is tcl/tk with a big
chunk of C, but I get too many compile errors -- seems hasn't
been updated for many years and suited to an older gcc and glibc.
Also designed for tcl/tk 8.0.x.

Abacus was a student project, so I sent an email to the Professor
who was in charge of the student group. He replied that he will
see if he can find a student who would like to try and compile it
-- well, I won't hold my breath on that one!

I am very keen to compile it. My tiny Puppy Linux distro currently
uses the ABS spreadsheet program, but I like the description of
Abacus, plus minimal dependencies and compact, and tcl/tk.

If anyone with compiling/C/tcl-tk skills would like to help out here,
it would be most welcome.
Abacus is to be found at:
http://www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/HomePages/aml/abacus/abacus.html
Puppy is at:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy

I compile apps for Puppy on a Mandrake 9.2 system, which has tcl/tk
version 8.4.2, gcc 3.3.1, glibc 2.3.2.

Regards,
Barry Kauler