Re: Airport Display

So, to summarise. Yes. That is what I want to simulate in a widget. It is only a widget though, want to show this on a screen and with appropriate sounds. I would suppose that a canvas is more appropriate for the task. I was really out after something that had the same look and feel than the original airport displays, just because we associate these immediately to a "list of things awaiting". At the cost of a number of images, may be the following would work.

Generate pictures for all letters of the alphabet, make sure these are divided into two actual pictures (up and down the axis). When moving from one letter to the next, arrange to show the picture for the next letter at the back, while showing a number of pictures for the "one rotating" on top of the back picture letter. These would be smaller, dunno how computed, just to simulate the rotation effect. It's hard to put words on this, I hope you get the point :-( With appropriate timings and sounds, I believe that this would work.

What I really am after is a good metaphor for mediating the feeling of "awaiting list of things". Such an airport display was something that would work, I think. But maybe is there anyone with a better idea. I want to show this on a peripheral display, big screen, for people passing by.

Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
lvirden@xxxxxxxxx <lvirden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

According to Emmanuel Frécon <emmanuel@xxxxxxx>:
:What I :am looking for is code that "simulate" the old mechanical displays where :the characters would roll. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'm sure we :all have seen one of these.
Ahh - I know what you mean - widgets that you can give a string of text,
and the text crawls across the display - like a news ticker, stock ticker,
etc. Right?

I don't think so.

If he really wants to simulate the look of the mechanical originals, this could be quite tough.

I fear I lack some english to properly describe these displays,
but I try anyway: (maybe replace a better word for "plates")
imagine an axis:  (sideview):   O

now there are some thin metal plates loosly attached alongside the axis.
\|/
--O--
/|\
(eight in this case, practically much more)

then there is a mechanism (the apostrophe) to hold back the top plate:
\\|' this is the front-side exposed to the viewer:
==O <--- seen from this side, one sees the front of the
//| top plate and the back of the bottom plate. These
two plate-sides carry the top- and bottom-half
of the Information to be shown.
If the axis advances (rotates) clockwise, the upper "|"-plate will
eventually escape from the apostrophe, and fall down, now revealing its own back and the next plate's front.

I once had an alarm-clock that worked with this principle, it had
60 plates for the minutes, and 24 for the hours.

(it's the "mechanical" that leads me to this interpretation)
PS: I've no idea how to implement *this*. But describing the mechanics may be of some help, anyway. At least I hope so.
.