Re: Airport Display

So, to summarise. Yes. That is what I want to simulate in a widget. It is only a widget though, want to show this on a screen and with appropriate sounds. I would suppose that a canvas is more appropriate for the task. I was really out after something that had the same look and feel than the original airport displays, just because we associate these immediately to a "list of things awaiting". At the cost of a number of images, may be the following would work.

Generate pictures for all letters of the alphabet, make sure these are divided into two actual pictures (up and down the axis). When moving from one letter to the next, arrange to show the picture for the next letter at the back, while showing a number of pictures for the "one rotating" on top of the back picture letter. These would be smaller, dunno how computed, just to simulate the rotation effect. It's hard to put words on this, I hope you get the point :-( With appropriate timings and sounds, I believe that this would work.

What I really am after is a good metaphor for mediating the feeling of "awaiting list of things". Such an airport display was something that would work, I think. But maybe is there anyone with a better idea. I want to show this on a peripheral display, big screen, for people passing by.

Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
lvirden@xxxxxxxxx <lvirden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

According to Emmanuel Frécon <emmanuel@xxxxxxx>:
:What I :am looking for is code that "simulate" the old mechanical displays where :the characters would roll. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'm sure we :all have seen one of these.
Ahh - I know what you mean - widgets that you can give a string of text,
and the text crawls across the display - like a news ticker, stock ticker,
etc. Right?

I don't think so.

If he really wants to simulate the look of the mechanical originals, this could be quite tough.

I fear I lack some english to properly describe these displays,
but I try anyway: (maybe replace a better word for "plates")
imagine an axis:  (sideview):   O

now there are some thin metal plates loosly attached alongside the axis.
\|/
--O--
/|\
(eight in this case, practically much more)

then there is a mechanism (the apostrophe) to hold back the top plate:
\\|' this is the front-side exposed to the viewer:
==O <--- seen from this side, one sees the front of the
//| top plate and the back of the bottom plate. These
two plate-sides carry the top- and bottom-half
of the Information to be shown.
If the axis advances (rotates) clockwise, the upper "|"-plate will
eventually escape from the apostrophe, and fall down, now revealing its own back and the next plate's front.

I once had an alarm-clock that worked with this principle, it had
60 plates for the minutes, and 24 for the hours.

(it's the "mechanical" that leads me to this interpretation)
PS: I've no idea how to implement *this*. But describing the mechanics may be of some help, anyway. At least I hope so.

  • Re: Clutch is slipping
    ... at least I can see the plates and discs. ... You can see 1 and 3 in the following pictures. ... Clutch basket isn't notched from the plates; ... Since I got the springs out, I check one of the the spring's free length. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.tech)
  • Re: Can anyone explain Thrinaxodon?
    ... > Thrinaxodon indicated he was older than this other paleobiologist. ... >>> Thrinaxodon shows a good photo of the ribs, but two other pictures ... >> I have no idea about the plates. ... They are little triangular processes in a ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Harshman, Nyikos, and talk.origins: a Yugoslav analogy
    ... You are comparing an exquisitely detailed picture of a Lower Cambrian ... from p. 178 of _Darwin's Doubt_ and other pictures of the same fantastic ... AFAIK the pictures in the color plates of _Darwin's Doubt_ had not ... of information about Cambrian and Ediacaran fossils, ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: valve/tube identity?
    ... Hey, that was Jochen that started all that. ... That's what I meant by 12AT7 plates, and Jochen meant by single flanged. ... Pretty good pictures! ... I've got this nagging feeling of the rumor used to be a voltage caveat ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Widget for posting pics housed elswhere into personal website
    ... Just wanted to know if anyone out there knows of a widget that can be ... Let's say I have a personal site on the hobby of car modifications. ... Rather than having a flood of 25 pictures come to me, ... that will display a thumbnail bar of their pics. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)