Is garbage collection here yet?

I thought I'd check in on tcl to see if garbage collection (of
"objects", not just strings) was available in the core yet. Without GC
of objects, I don't consider tcl to be a fully higher-level language.
Tcl has so many other cool features (vfs, for example) and such a clean
implementation, it's a pity that it can't be used for OO-style
implemention without jumping through the hacks required to destroy
objects explicitly. Are there any near-future plans to implement GC?
A google search brings up Jim References. Any chance that they'll make
it into the core in the near future?

-- John Wiersba

  • Re: Garbage Collection
    ... may be i never used long strings:) ... But going through the ideas posted on Tcl website under Gsoc'10 link, ... what Steve is referring to as "garbage collection" inhttp://wiki.tcl.tk/23186#pagetoce0162b46is specifically "non- ... int intValue; ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: gzip/zlib in tcl
    ... TIP and reference implementation exist since 2004, and this implementation doesn't interfere with other part of core. ... perhaps adding support for zlib into Tcl core is "not believed to be a good idea"? ... I'm just using it as a reference, to try to understand motivation), I'm little perplexed about what was showstoppers for deflate support inclusion in 8.5, and if supporting it wouldn't have contributed in turning Tcl into a more practical language. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Is garbage collection here yet?
    ... What is the definition of a "jobbing language"? ... well Tcl is well suited for much more than just that! ... it comes with the core much as Tk comes with the core. ... Probably 50% of that combobox code is that mini object system. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Anyone going to work on getting OO into tcl 8.5 core distribution?
    ... etc. regarding whether Tcl should have OO in the core. ... To add new extensions or features into the Tcl source code distribution ... maintained OO extension into the core? ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Tips for TIPs? Vector/linalg math extension
    ... I'm working on a numeric array extension for Tcl which can do basic vector math and linear algebra on N-dimensional arrays with the goal to get it included into the Tcl core. ... vexpr ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)