Re: Finding packages

Lets talk a little about infrastructure...

Joe English wrote:

I could even live with the name. ;-)

I think an easy to remember URL is *very* important. As a Perl
developer you know to search for modules on www.cpan.org, not on
http://some.obscure.university.subdomain/~ecky/perl/stuff/. For php you
search for packages on pear.php.net, and everyone knows this. Why
should it be more complicated for Tcl?

Joe, do you think it is possible to register packages.tcl.tk as
subdomain to tcl.tk and move your site to this domain? Respectively -
do you like this idea?

Good idea -- any ideas for how this could be best presented?

For the start, the simple descriptions on a common url (packages.tcl.tk
;-) would do. But to make the maintenance of packages with descriptions
and features easy in the long term, a more or less sophisticated web
application should be built, with database backend (could be metakit,
maybe) and dynamic content, search and so on. Part of this application
should be a package registration system, which provides entry
capabilities for features & descriptions and enforces or at least
encourages the upload for binary builts and .kit files.
It is much work to build such a system, but the outcome would be very
helpful and attract new developers to Tcl. If the work is split on
several interrested individuals working together as a team, that would
make the task easier as a whole. I would like to participate as well.
As webapp framework a Tcl solution should take place - Rivet, Tclhttpd
with the tml templating system or websh, or AOL server - I don't know
which is best (although my favourite would be Rivet)...

Eckhard

  • Re: Finding packages
    ... Joe English wrote: ... developer you know to search for modules on www.cpan.org, ... search for packages on pear.php.net, ... think of grimy folds and incontinence) need a word that sticks with tcl ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: TCL vs. Perl
    ... In similar fashion, yes, a lot is already available for TCL, but takes some ... it will help grow the available tools, packages and other activity that will ... Yes, Tcl is just another tool, and Perl is a better choice for some ... I don't know how to install it manually. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • TIP #190: Implementation Choices for Tcl Modules
    ... describing a number of choices for the implementation of Tcl Modules, ... PACKAGES WRITTEN IN TCL ... shared libraries and executables. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: using interp snapshot
    ... different tcl files that perform a small monitoring tasks. ... do not want to clean the helper procs and packages. ... the interp state that is ready for sourcing a moniror file? ... packages commands known in your sub interpreter. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: ITcl 3.3
    ... I get very worried when I see the usefulness of object orientation ... set of related data, and methods that operate on the data. ... Every Tcl program today uses object orientation. ... of the "real" OO packages is reinventing the wheel. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)