Re: rlogin via expect mysteriously aborts when run from cron

Ronald Fischer wrote:
So what could be the reason for this strange behaviour? Could
there be some kind of timeout be involved, which kills the
connection? Alternatively, could it be that cron collects output
only up to a certain amount, and if the application produces
more, it is killed?

The last one would explain why sometimes the commands seem to
be "cut in the middle"; due to the complexity of the rlogin
stuff, it is well possible that on successive invocations,
always a different amount of output is produced. OTOH, the man
pages for cron don't mention such a restriction.

Any ideas on this?

No clue. I would definitely try 'strace -f -o /tmp/mybug.tra myjob' in
the crontab entry.
This way you'll know what exactly is the killer (a signal or a silent
exit after an error).

-Alex

  • Re: CVS over SSH hangs
    ... > DM> connection if remote program didn't close stdouton ... > process on the remote side on exit is immaterial; ... populate an RRDTool's database) that are run from cron every ... Some of our cron jobs are mission-critical. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Cron Jobs
    ... > having a cron will mean yo server is forced by the script ... > best than allowing mail dequeing by connection. ... > host server so I can get emails for my domain example.com. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: [SLE] Cron & wvdial
    ... That option under cron has disappeared. ... I used to get my mail from dialup via a bash script I wrote and called ... # Script to initiate a ppp connection. ... # I put most of the common options on this command. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Cron Jobs
    ... If its a problem with the cron, ... I know you have seen the script and ... concern seems to be mail delays i suggest u look @ other factors like the ... >> best than allowing mail dequeing by connection. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Time Sync
    ... >Won't this stall the machine on boot if a network connection is not ... Don't be scared of cron. ... I didn't run NTP at all until I had a permanent network ...
    (Fedora)