Re: tooltips/balloon help on menubar pulldowns

On May 21, 12:22 pm, Bryan Oakley <oak...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kevin Walzer wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? It strikes me as
something that would present serious usability problems. I'm envisioning
a case in which I've pulled down a menu and have selected the menu item,
and then all of a sudden a tooltip pops up, grabbing focus away from the
menu item I've selected. I can't imagine this being anything but jarring
and annoying, and I'm not aware of best GUI design practices on any
platform that recommend this.

(not speaking for the original author; just tossing my 2 cents into the
ring)

Tooltips don't always have to pop up in a floating window. Some will
argue that as you mouse over a menu item it's a good idea to have a long
description of that item appear down in the statusbar.

Personally I tend to waffle back and forth on the issue. You can point
at it and say "gee, isn't that neat?" but I'm not convinced it truly
makes the program any easier to use. When you're focused on a menu it's
easy to miss text flashing in a statusbar several inches (cm, whatever)
below your line of sight.

--
Bryan Oakleyhttp://www.tclscripting.com

There is one other situation in which I have used tooltips over menu
items of a sort, namely with character entry charts. The tooltips
gloss the characters. This is very useful when you need to enter
characters in a writing system you don't know well or where you can't
read the letters on the display very well. Have a look at my character
entry toolkit: http://billposer.org/Software/CharEntry.html.

  • Re: Evolution is true, i swear it is, i really really do. Please
    ... "Evolution of the animal and plant world is ... which no further proof is needed" (1952, 49:84, emp. ... The sad truth: "Mammals coexisted ... Apologetics Press must be ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Damn you, FEDEX! or Nikon D40 lost in Springfield, MO blackhole.
    ... the 2 mp Mavica he had been using with a Nikon D40. ... After shopping around, he got me to order one for him. ... The shipper had it insured, but from what I have read it could take weeks to sort this crap out. ... You may get your insurance from FedEx and a couple weeks later they find it and deliver it. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Evolution is true, i swear it is, i really really do. Please
    ... evolution is amply clear" (1965, preface, emp. ... As mammals, we like to think that we're pretty...superior. ... "It was only when the dinosaurs were removed that mammals had the ... "Copyright © 2007 Apologetics Press, ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Evolution is true, i swear it is, i really really do. Please
    ... "Evolution of the animal and plant world is ... We may owe our own dominance to the asteroid impact that killed the dinosaurs 65 million years ... As mammals, we like to think that we're pretty...superior. ... "Copyright © 2007 Apologetics Press, ...
    (talk.origins)