Re: windows tcl/tk bug does not appear under Wine

billposer@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I sent a friend a Starpack so that he could test a program under MS
Windows. When he ran it, he encountered the old bug in which assigning
a hexadecimal number like 0xFF to a scale variable (not "scalar", but
the variable named in the -variable option of a scale widget) fails
because 0xFF is interpreted as non- numeric. I've encountered this
before and fixed it (by using decimal), but evidently hadn't changed
it here. The MS Windows runtime I used turned out to be tcl 8.4.9, so
it makes sense that the bug would turn up when running the Starpack
but not on my Linux systems since they have 8.4.14 or later. The weird
thing is that when I run the same
Starpack under Linux using Wine I get no such error. I don't see how
that is possible. The Tcl that is running under Wine is 8.4.9, not the
later Linux version, so the bug should appear when running under Wine
just as it does on a real Windows system.

Does anyone understand how this could happen?

My guess is that when running in the Wine environment, the program calls
a different strtod() routine that leads to the divergent behavior.

--
| Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald.porter@xxxxxxxx Information Technology Laboratory |

  • Re: bad experience with Suse 9.1 on Inspiron 8200
    ... > it is an M$ bug, such technicalities are irrelevant to the end user. ... :-) Windows has ... work as long as they work, trying to install a nitrous ... Linux are at least a *little* bit curious about how their computer works ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Given Up on Linux1
    ... Once I had done enough work and investigated the existing bug reports on ... > dealt with thousands of computers, you should be lucky I'm even ... newbie to Linux. ... But there had not been a windows problem in 12 years I ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Someone Posted This On MySpace
    ... programming language) ported to a Linux machine I'd ditch Windows ... The retard thinks his only two options for surfing Usenet are Outhouse ... I haven't ever used WINE yet, ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: 3D ARAnyM versatile package
    ... And that's what I> don't understand about what you're doing under Windows. ... It is not the> same thing at all, than under Linux or MacOSX, indeed. ... So please not said me how use cygwin, I use it for first port of Aranym on windows, authors at this time not think a version like this could appear so fast, they not plane do it before 1 year, if I remember! ... But it can be an fvdi bug, or aranym bug or anything else, really I don't know how you can said this, bug are sometime so strange! ...
    (comp.sys.atari.st)
  • Re: PPPoE and ADSL problem (1 solution)
    ... >> shutdown from Win and then boot into Linux. ... > of evidence of win xp and linux dual booting and linux having connection ... > this is a bug or not? ... Boot windows. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)