Re: How Tcl speaks for itself and how Tcl is not spoken for...

On Jun 27, 1:13 am, "Donal K. Fellows"
<donal.k.fell...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Melissa Schrumpf wrote:
Admittedly, anyone who is running and maintaining a DBMS coded in
assembly has either been subject to extreme lock-in, or is severely
deranged.

If they're deranged like that, they'll be subject to a different sort of
"extreme lock-in" involving padded cells...

Donal.

Well, there's always the military. A friend of mine worked for the US
Air Force in the late 1970s. They did inventory, using programs
originally written in Fortran. The machines did not do multitasking.
To compile, you first loaded the compiler and ran the source through.
Then you loaded the assembler and ran the output of the previous pass
through and got an object deck. Then you loaded the program and ran
it, resulting in an output deck. Then you loaded the output deck and
printed it. This procedure was so slow that before my friend got there
they had ceased to modify the Fortran sources and just patched
everything directly in machine language. Not assembler, machine
language.

  • Re: How Tcl speaks for itself and how Tcl is not spoken for...
    ... assembly has either been subject to extreme lock-in, ... To compile, you first loaded the compiler and ran the source through. ... Then you loaded the assembler and ran the output of the previous pass ... resulting in an output deck. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Learning Machine Language - the 0s and 1s
    ... I learned machine language before I learned assembly or C. ... the coolest calculator ever made. ... later) but there were some kinds of instructions I hadn't thought ... just a shorthand for PDP-11 assembler. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Jit Implementation
    ... would you use simply a system assembler ... this goes through a stage involving text in memory with assembler ... or if he goes straight to machine language. ... library .so and use dlsym to execute them from your runtime. ...
    (comp.compilers)
  • Re: The is dont have it
    ... Machine language and assembler ... COBOL and swore never to look at it again, ... Actually 2K RAM, 1K for you 1K for them. ... Amazing speed if you used machine language. ...
    (rec.org.mensa)
  • Re: [EGN] Re: A REQUEST concerning Nilgewater.
    ... >> to start with machine language. ... >> after six weeks of Basic training for permission not ... >> to use but to CODE an assembler. ... Fortunately, Mr. Nilges himself, ...
    (comp.programming)