Re: exec trouble

Thanks Uwe. Your response made me look into another direction:

Indeed a tclsh, launched from a terminal behaves as expected. However,
if the command is issued from a tkcon console which was launched from
the KDE panel, the error message as I specified in my previous message,
is returned.

The crucial difference appears to be whether the process that issues the
firefox invocation (tclsh, tkcon, wish app, ...), has a controlling
terminal or not. If it is launched from the KDE panel, it doesn't unless
one explicitly indicates otherwise:

If I toggle the checkbutton for "run in a terminal window" in the KDE
panel option, then tkcon is launched with a controlling terminal, and
the firefox invocation succeeds as expected.

I hope that my idiom has been appropriate, because I'm not at all
familiar with terminals. consoles, background/foreground processes.

Is there anybody out there who is more experienced in this area, and who
can explain the behaviour that I observe, and possibly if this behaviour
is to be expected, or if it is a bug (on the part of firefox or Tcl or ...).

Thanks in advance,

Erik
====

For all clarity, here is how to reproduce the error:
1. launch firefox
2. launch tkcon "without a controlling terminal", e.g. from the panel of
your desktop (I use KDE). You do this by leaving the panel option "run
in a terminal window" unchecked.
3. issue at the prompt:
exec /usr/bin/firefox -remote openUrl(http://www.google.com,new-tab)

Launching tkcon in step 2 with a terminal attached, will produce the
desired, non-erroneous behaviour.
--
leunissen@ nl | Merge the left part of these two lines into one,
e. hccnet. | respecting a character's position in a line.

  • Re: [opensuse] Running process list
    ... In my case, I launch an application with nohup command in a terminal window, ... top will show you the top list of running processes, periodically updated, ... Perhaps looking in yast to the list of programs for text terminals ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: virtual terminals
    ... manager to launch and switch to what would be ... edited /etc/inittab to fire up at runlevel 5 the way ... RedHat gets X going. ... accidentally disabled the other virtual terminals. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • New xterm and stdout redirection
    ... I wonder if this was possible: in my script, I launch many processes in ... background and I'd like to see the output in different terminals. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: Natural gas detectors and Co detectors
    ... There is a reason for the dainty little terminals. ... engineers' effort to put everyone in touch with his feminine side. ... I also HATE those dainty little DSC terminals...how freeking stupid. ... | Thats too logical in fact I'm going to invent the two-zone panel using ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: OT Question for Iggy
    ... There are several on ebay at a range of prices, ... were not connected to the V+ and V- terminals. ... it is common to run the power and the sense wires from the back of the ... to leave the front panel uncluttered by cables. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)