Re: High memory or huge(?) lists

Jeannot wrote:
Hi @ll,

I am working with a lot of data stored in one array and I encounter
"Not enough memory to allocate list
abort"
I am working on a high memory machine running Linux and Tcl8.5 (64 Go
and may have access to even bigger) so memory should not be the
problem altough I am investing this also...

Could be the case if you do an [array get] somewhere, which tries to
create tons of objects and a huge list for your arrays. But might have
other causes.

I think it might be an idea to use a :memory: based sqlite database or
something like Metakit for your data, usually much better for managing
huge structures of stuff than doing similar things via arrays when you
have a ton of data.

Michael

  • Re: Fast string operations
    ... Looping: I thought looping over arrays in managed code was "slow" ... array handling and such. ... The problem with TrimHelper is that it always returns a new string instance. ... The customer perceives this as a memory leak. ...
  • Re: High Memory Consumption of Classes and Arrays
    ... Only the array itself has overhead. ... memory as a reference type. ... > least consume 40 bytes of memory. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.performance)
  • Re: OOP and C++ and C (was Re: Dennis Ritchie -- An Appreciation)
    ... different layout in memory. ... memory is one large array like structure. ... That's the fundamental abstraction that our hardware attempts to ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Fast linked list
    ... > amounts of memory rather than huge chunks of it. ... random insertions into a vector/dynamic array are not as slow ... to cause a cache miss. ... some hard numbers on speed differences between lists and arrays. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Fast linked list
    ... > amounts of memory rather than huge chunks of it. ... random insertions into a vector/dynamic array are not as slow ... to cause a cache miss. ... some hard numbers on speed differences between lists and arrays. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)