Re: BLT overhaul (was: Tcl development priorities (was: gzip/zlib in Tcl))

On 6 Mai, 08:43, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Can you give details on which of these improvements you're after
exactly ?
Indeed, part of them may already be covered by the lighter-weight
hashtable glue in Dicts.

Well, BLT defines an in-memory hash table that is build upon the Tcl
hash table (as it were back in perhaps 2002 or 2004). The source file
(bltHash.c) states, that it adds pool allocation 64-bit address
handling and an improved array hash function.

TIP 69 (written by the BLT author back in 2001) wants to do all this
(and perhaps more?). Now, if this can be achieved with the
implementation used by BLT and brings some advantages to Tcl, why not
promote this TIP?

bltHash.c is one of the BLT source files that includes tclInt.h which
could thus be avoided here. Alas, I do not know C well enough to say
something about the effort needed here and if the comments by dgp in
TIP 69 mean, there is actually nothing to do (i.e. the TIP is
superfluous).

Torsten

  • Re: BLT overhaul (was: Tcl development priorities (was: gzip/zlib in Tcl))
    ... BLT defines an in-memory hash table that is build upon the Tcl ... The source file ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Found it once on wiki
    ... Seems BLT 2.4 is known not to work with Tcl 8.5 ... I plan to return to school, Computer Information Systems did not exist when I was in school [how may here programmed in CUPL under CORC;} I'm interested in signal processing, FFT papers were just being written when I was in school. ... Someone pointed towards some BLT code. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: BLT overhaul
    ... I assume you're using the BLT 2.4z source to start? ... We just tweak it for new tcl releases, and 8.5 doesn't look like a show-stopper for us. ... tried to get rid of BLT's copies of Tcl internals, ... leave different namespaces) and such. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Found it once on wiki
    ... Seems BLT 2.4 is known not to work with Tcl 8.5 ... I'd like to become competent in a couple of languages (FORTH, Tcl) ... Computer Information Systems did not exist when I was in school [how may ... what's already there in the Tcl core. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: BLT vs Tcl/Tk 8.5.2 ?
    ... current cvs HEAD of Tcl and BLT and the above error is gone. ... I compiled on MacOS X with target X11 and without patching the BLT ... bltUnixFont.c:1298: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ... bltUnixFont.c:1837: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)