Re: TIP #317: Extend binary Ensemble with Binary Encodings

Kevin Kenny wrote:
USCode wrote:
Thanks Torsten. I think 'bloat' isn't the only concern here but a byproduct of moving things into the core that, while convenient, aren't in the long-term interests of Tcl (In my humble and insignificant opinion of course as since I'm not a member of the TCT, my opinions are merely academic!). Seems as if the Tcl core should provide the key building blocks and infrastructure for building applications but not be choosing the winners & losers of the various compression schemes, encoding schemes, file output types, etc.

So far, so good. But in the Core we use base64 ourselves, and it's
high time that was integrated at the script level. We also *want* to
have access to zlib for embedding virtual filesystems, so that
one is also likely to be bundled. In short, we should plan to
bundle the bits that the Core itself needs for other reasons.

Thanks Kevin. Can you elaborate a bit more on the use of zlib for embedding virtual filesystems?
Thanks!

  • Re: TIP #317: Extend binary Ensemble with Binary Encodings
    ... insignificant opinion of course as since I'm not a member of the TCT, ... Seems as if the Tcl core should ... In practice base64 is used a lot. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: TIP #317: Extend binary Ensemble with Binary Encodings
    ... byproduct of moving things into the core that, while convenient, aren't in the long-term interests of Tcl (In my humble and insignificant opinion of course as since I'm not a member of the TCT, my opinions are merely academic!). ... Seems as if the Tcl core should provide the key building blocks and infrastructure for building applications but not be choosing the winners & losers of the various compression schemes, encoding schemes, file output types, etc. ... bundle the bits that the Core itself needs for other reasons. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: TIP #317: Extend binary Ensemble with Binary Encodings
    ... insignificant opinion of course as since I'm not a member of the TCT, ... Seems as if the Tcl core should ... Well I think your opinion definitely should more weight than mine, you've been a key contributor and maintainer of many parts of Tcl/Tk and I certainly appreciate it!!! ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Is garbage collection here yet?
    ... What is the definition of a "jobbing language"? ... well Tcl is well suited for much more than just that! ... it comes with the core much as Tk comes with the core. ... Probably 50% of that combobox code is that mini object system. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: gzip/zlib in tcl
    ... TIP and reference implementation exist since 2004, and this implementation doesn't interfere with other part of core. ... perhaps adding support for zlib into Tcl core is "not believed to be a good idea"? ... I'm just using it as a reference, to try to understand motivation), I'm little perplexed about what was showstoppers for deflate support inclusion in 8.5, and if supporting it wouldn't have contributed in turning Tcl into a more practical language. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)