Re: Something to consider re ever more byzantine builds

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
S M Ryan wrote:

I never did understand the purpose of stubs and why I have to deal with them.

A stub-enabled extension can be told the location of all (Tcl/Tk)
library calls that it depends on without needing to know about the
details of the library that is supplying those calls. This allows us
to manage the versioning of the ABI better (stub-enabled extensions
don't need to be recompiled when a new version of Tcl comes out) and
also lets us support providing those libraries in non-standard ways
(enabling the tclkit/starkit distribution model).

Donal.
Ihave never looked into this but wondered on occasion:

Where is the difference to linking against glibc 2.0
and running against a newer glibc 2.4 ?
( Though I sometimes would like to be able to link
against 2.4(featureset 2.0 only) )

uwe
.