Tip 323 and file join

I noticed TIP #323: Do Nothing Gracefully explicitly excludes
file join. I'm okay that there is some good reason for doing
so.

But I was wondering if the simple trick of appending "" to
the command is safe? It seems to yield the same results.

For example:
file join {*}{} ;# fails
file join {*}{} "" ;# success
file join {*}{a b c} ;# okay
file join {*}{a b c} "" ;# same as above

Keith

  • Re: Tip 323 and file join
    ... I'm okay that there is some good reason for doing ... obvious what the meaning of zero arguments ought to be. ... question for [file join] is "what is the file pathname with ... "what does the empty string, interpreted as a file pathname, signify?" ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: package command sloow
    ... source [file join $dir pkga.tcl] ... Avoiding the need for such "Quoting Hell" variants is another ... reason to push all the complexity into a file and let the ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • file join/normalize bugs violate EIAS
    ... I came across a strange file join / file normalize misbehaviour/bug. ... 2.There is no reason why two identical strings would produce different ...