Give your opinion on a technical question

Hello,

I am working in IBM Brno (Czech Republic) and I am writing a script in
Tcl/Tk it must run a parallel sequence of many jobs, and they must be
driven to start other jobs in consequence of other jobs status.

INTRODUCTION:
I would ask your opinion on a tool that is important for me. But let
me show you the situation.
The script I am writing was originally written in DOS-batch, an other
version was partially developed in Perl, I choice to write it in Tcl/
Tk because a GUI will be probably required in the next future. The old
DOS version is currently used by IBM Italy, and different departments
in Brno. Probably they they will need to modify my script.

Because does not exist a concurrent versioning system (CVS, SVN...) I
have proposed to my manager to create a repository for all scripts
that our group writes, they are so many!
He answered me everyone can save the script he write or modify or just
use in its IBM local PC!!!! and a versioning system is not needed!! He
told me they have never use, they can continue without use it!

YOUR OPINION
I have choice this ng because I met someone of you at FOSDEM2005, and
I have appreciated their competence.
So, I would read your opinion about my manager decision, and his
philosophy.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards

Silvano Catinella

  • Re: Netcat question
    ... Also, I apologize since I think you might have provided this already, but can we see the virtual device script? ... Maybe a quick & dirty hack fix is to have the virtual device script always append something unobtrusive to the collected print data for no other reason than to garuntee that the print jobs are always at least a few bytes. ... It uses a cheap-o single port print server that snaps onto the centronics plug just like that netgear ps101. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Give your opinion on a technical question
    ... Tcl/Tk it must run a parallel sequence of many jobs, ... The script I am writing was originally written in DOS-batch, ... DOS version is currently used by IBM Italy, ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Netcat question
    ... If you write the virtual device script to simply throw out all output from ... than to garuntee that the print jobs are always at least a few bytes. ... It uses a cheap-o single port print server that snaps onto the centronics ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Biztalk 2006 with SQL-Express - Gert
    ... This is the link for the list of BizTalk 2006 Maintenance Jobs ... Below I provide the details of the execution script with the interval. ... Interval: 1 Minute / Recurring ...
    (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)
  • Re: Plattform independent queuing of computations
    ... The idea ist to put the computation jobs into a database which is read ... The external task uses the database as a queue ... website the socket will be closed when the script is finished and the ... And if the rest of the code doesn't have problems with loops, you can set the execution time longer and memory larger. ...
    (comp.lang.php)