Re: TclDOM Tutorial

On May 9, 11:42 pm, shady <shady.for...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to read about what TclDOM or DOM in general can do, or look
for examples of implementation. But, honestly I can't find anything
really informative.

All what I read on different websites is that DOM is used to read XML
as a tree structure. But, that is not enough for me to use it. How
will this be of benefit?

Is there any helpful website or tutorial that can explain how to use
it and when it is useful. I'm afraid to dump it and find out later
that it could be of help to my application!!

Thanks,
Shady

DOM represents entire XML documents (or document fragments) in memory
in a structured format. There are both pros and cons to that; the
biggest downside is that, depending on the size of your document, it
can consume a lot of memory to represent the whole thing as a DOM
tree. The big advantage is that you can query and manipulate anything
anywhere in the tree in an elegant, straightforward way. In your
research on DOM, don't forget to look into XPath. Also, while you're
looking at TclDOM have a look at tDOM too.

If you can tell us a bit about your application and your XML needs,
people will be able to give you more specific advice about whether DOM
is right for you and what issues to consider in making your decision.

  • Re: Reading XML stream using unmanaged c++
    ... You don't need a back pointer to implement tree structures. ... but a back pointer is a handy thing to have when using a DOM node. ... XML is metadata, but an XML document is an XML metadata structure with actual data ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: lisp is winner in DOM parsing contest! 8-]
    ... > representation of the tree structure, ... elements using DOM. ... XML records - the XML document is arbitrarily large but the individual ... Pulldom passes each record to you SAX-style, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Writing big XML files where beginning depends on end.
    ... > We're using DOM to create XML files that describes fairly ... > complex calculations. ... The XML is structured as a big tree, ... > other values further down in the tree. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: XSLT modifying an xml dom tree?
    ... XPath data model which is different from the DOM model) is transformed to an ouput tree there are no methods or functions inserting or adding nodes at a particular node. ... If you want help here implementing an XSLT transformation then it is usually a good idea to show us your input XML data and the desired output. ...
    (comp.text.xml)
  • Re: read an XML file in TCL
    ... i typed my answer a bit too fast and mixed up TclXML with TcLDOM. ... I started out with TclXML ... nifty interface of the script. ... The documentation for DOM and a little ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)