Re: output error messages

On Jun 8, 5:18 pm, Dave <hende...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jun 2, 12:58 pm, Dave <hende...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jun 2, 11:22 am, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Jun 2, 5:15 pm, Dave <hende...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Gang,

     I'm still working on the same script from the post yesterday
(which had its previous problem resolved this morning).  I'm issuing a
'mv' command via spawn but the script isn't throwing any errors,
however the file thats attempted to be moved is not moving either.
I'm sure there is an error message being displayed by the 'mv'
command, but I don't know how to access the message.  I've tried using
'catch' and can display an error code, but not the message (as shown
below).  Any help on being able to print the error message so I can
see (whether to screen or file) would greatly be appreciated.

catch { eval spawn -noecho $syntax } curr_result
send_user "error is: $curr_result\n";

NOTE: $syntax contains the command to execute and is passed into the
script via a parameter value.  At present, I'm just trying something
simple like "mv a.txt b.txt" where a.txt doesn't exist so I can print
out the error message.

From what you wrote here and in the other thread, I don't see a good
reason to use Expect. Are there other considerations that would change
this impression ? Do you need to control interactive things like
telnet, ssh, ftp, rlogin ?

If not, just do it with vanilla tclsh.
Then you'll see that

   catch {exec sh -c $syntax} curr_result

does retrieve the error.
Alternatively, you can tell Tcl to let the stderr of the commands flow
to the console unimpeded, and just get the binary success information:

   set nok [catch {exec sh -c $syntax 2>@ stderr}]

-Alex

Thanks for the reply Alex. Actually I'm using Expect because certain
tasks must be handled via a script and sometimes require the use of
sudo or su.  Expect handles all the prompting for passwords so the
user can just click a button and have a 'success' or 'failure' (with
message - for the admin).  Don't worry the scripts don't store
passwords, instead they are passed by a submission prompt from the GUI
each time and passed to the Expect script.

Currently I'm using the 'spawn' syntax to launch commands, should I be
using 'exec' instead?  Will there be a problem with 'exec' (as no
issues to report using 'spawn' so far) with the use of sudo or su?  If
'spawn' is still the preferred method, can I just substitute 'exec sh -
c' with 'spawn' in the afore mentioned examples?

Thanks,
Dave

bump for help

Sorry I can only offer help _outside_ Expect ;-)
If no Expect expert steps forth, I can propose this simple idea:

- use Expect-savvy primitives like 'spawn' for sudo and other
terminal interaction
- use [exec] (Tcl is a superset of Expect AFAIK) for the rest.

-Alex

  • Re: output error messages
    ... I'm sure there is an error message being displayed by the 'mv' ... command, but I don't know how to access the message. ... script via a parameter value. ... Currently I'm using the 'spawn' syntax to launch commands, ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: output error messages
    ... I'm sure there is an error message being displayed by the 'mv' ... command, but I don't know how to access the message. ... script via a parameter value. ... Currently I'm using the 'spawn' syntax to launch commands, ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: output error messages
    ... 'mv' command via spawn but the script isn't throwing any errors, ... I'm sure there is an error message being displayed by the 'mv' ... command, but I don't know how to access the message. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • output error messages
    ... I'm still working on the same script from the post yesterday ... I'm sure there is an error message being displayed by the 'mv' ... command, but I don't know how to access the message. ... 'catch' and can display an error code, but not the message (as shown ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: JETCOMP.exe utility switch to path to database to compact
    ... I ran the command line script many times. ... error message something about can't find the internal program. ... operable program or batch file. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)