Re: how to read stderr of the FIRST command in a pipe?

Fun quote from
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/tcl-examples.html#fileevent

[quote]

Fileevent
Among the most commonly-asked questions in comp.lang.tcl are, "How do I
get fileevent to work?", "How do I communicate between two processes?",
"Can I use named pipes with Tcl?" and "How do I show the results of a
process in a text widget?" (approximately; usually the questioners don't
realize what they're asking sufficiently well to articulate them this
way). Andreas Kupries answered all four of these with a single newsgroup
posting. He also offered an alternative version which uses sockets in
place of pipes. I wrote a tutorial form covering much the same territory
for SunWorld Online.

[/unquote]

That brings much interest to read the original post of Andreas Kupries.
Unfortunately the quoted web page did not use RFC style news:[news_id]
type of link, rather instead he links to
http://x6.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=371153871

Understandably it's 404 now.
.