Re: How to use/understand <Expose> events on MS Windows

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
On Jun 12, 11:59 pm, Erik Leunissen <l...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is the *meaning* of an <Expose> event under MS Windows? (Yes, I
have seen them happen, but apparently not in this case.)

The meaning is exactly that of the low-level WM_PAINT message: draw a
particular area of a window. If windows have backing store of some
kind, they might be redrawn from that instead of directly by the
application. By what you report, there must be plenty of that in use
in Windows. Note that Expose is strictly X11 language, but the Windows-
equivalent (a WM_PAINT message) is strongly analogous. It's all part
of the machinery that Tk normally conceals from you.

That's too bad.

I really want to bind to the display redraw (actually to the scheduling
thereof through an <Expose> event) of a widget.

Since it's unclear under which circumstances an <Expose> event is
generated on MS Windows, I'm going to perform some trial and error
experiments to find that out.

What has become clear in the meantime is, that if an <Expose> event is
generated on Windows, it is generated for all ancestors of the widget
that has been modified up to the toplevel widget (not including the very
widget that received the modification). This is the complete inverse
from what happens under Linux, where the event is generated for just the
widget being modified, not its the ancestors.

Erik.

More of an issue is that Windows doesn't (AFAIK) generate events when
a window is restacked or when its visibility changes. :-(

Donal.

--
leunissen@ nl | Merge the left part of these two lines into one,
e. hccnet. | respecting a character's position in a line.

  • Re: How to use/understand events on MS Windows
    ... generated on Windows, it is generated for all ancestors of the widget ... that has been modified up to the toplevel widget (not including the very ... For a lot of ancestors in many cases, ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Belated look at the OSXhints April Fools front page
    ... See how useful Expose is compared to other methods, ... think that it really should group like windows together. ... So why be so arrogant as to make that judgement? ... the scroll bar to what i was after. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Hidding a program from Windows toolbar
    ... "Running AS a widget" does not mean my program IS a widget. ... If I can close it with the task manager, then if I want to close it, I'm going to be annoyed that I have to bring up the task manager to do so. ... I created a MFC dialog-based program with VC++ 6.0 and Windows XP Pro, but when I use it, I get his name and icon showing on the Windows toolbar. ... Is there a way to hide the program from the Windows toolbar, i.e to be able to use the program without having his name and icon displayed on the Windows toolbar? ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: One more reason XP is better
    ... Alan Baker wrote: ... Brian Pratt wrote: ... it's minimize all the windows one at a time.... ... Why would I search for Expose under help when I want to return to the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: BOFH on Macs
    ... Cascade actually fixes the windows' positions, ... Hitting F10 (all windows from just one app) is useful when I'm cutting ... From the browser I hit F11, ... Prior to Expose ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)