Re: Tcl/Tk on Linux questions

On Sep 20, 7:37 am, Richard Owlett <rowl...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm thinking of moving from Windows to Linux.
Though a computer _user_ since days of 026's, I'm not familiar with
any OS internals/structure since CPM-80.

I have not yet decided on which distro to use. One set of
considerations push towards a reasonably standard Debian based
distro. Another set has me leaning towards Tinycore and its competitors.

The conflict is that the standard/common distro's manage to download
"everything but the kitchen sink" when >90% of my time will be spent
with a couple of "kitchen sinks" ;/

I interprethttp://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.5/at.install.htmlas saying
that as long as I have a specific kernel (or later) all is GO [i.e.
no dependencies to download].

When I asked a similar question on a Linux forum (though I was
focusing my question on obtaining smallest .iso) I would have to
download such a large amount of graphics support that it would
defeat my goal of a small download.

Two questions:
  1. How confused/befuddled am I?
  2. What I want from a "GUI" many might consider just a set of
menus. There were some demo tcl
     files on the ACTIVEDVD I purchased several years ago. Something
like their top level would
     suit me well. My desktop would likely appear to be a half dozen
icons each launching a
     specific menu. Anything more I associate with a GUI is already
buried in pure Tcl/Tk scripts
     I write. From the user perspective this is pretty much how I
actually work when using
     Windows(tm).
     Any hidden "gotchas"?

TIA

I like TinyCore a lot, although it is probably not the best distro for
a beginner. I would recommend Puppy Linux:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm
if you are looking for something small, fast and user friendly. The
latest versions of Puppy Linux supports Ubuntu repositories.

From my experience, ActiveState will work on almost any Linux distro.
I prefer ActiveState over distro's own packaged Tcl because distro
packaged Tcl is often incomplete, outdated, lagging behind.